Sandcastle Water Park Undergoes a Makeover | News, Sports, Jobs
WEST HOMESTEAD, PA – Better, brighter and cooler than ever.
Sandcastle Waterpark reveals a major multi-million dollar upgrade plan along with a range of exciting events, a new waterslide and an expanded operating schedule for the coming season.
Nominated as one of America’s Best Water Parks by USA Today’s 10Best, the area’s hometown water park will be prettier, brighter and cooler than ever this year as major changes to improve the customer experiences have been going on for months. Now, Sandcastle’s management team are revealing the massive transformation underway with less than two months remaining until opening day, May 21.
“Customers will be amazed when they see the brand new look of our world-class water park this year,” says Ricky Spicuzza, assistant general manager of Sandcastle. “It started last season with improvements to the look of the park, new food and drink offerings and a new Jammin’ July special event. We are now building on these successful changes this year and delivering a whole new Sandcastle experience like never before in Steel City.
Park improvements will touch all major areas of the park for a complete makeover, including:
– Mon Tsunami Wave Pool: A new stone facade creates an illusion of rocky cliffs, while a new waterfall cascades below during the wave sequences;
– The Boardwalk: Boasting one of the best views in town over the Monongahela River, the Sandcastle Boardwalk comes alive. A steel archway with illuminated dimensional lettering marks the new start of the boardwalk, creating a unique arrival statement. All streetlights have been updated to gooseneck lighting, while garlands illuminate the evening walkways;
– Food and drink improvements: New menu items are on the way, and visually upgraded stalls will sport attractive new signage and refreshed color palettes to embody a modern seaside feel;
– Mushroom Pool: A sleek, modern look makes the Mushroom Pool the perfect place to relax by the river. Enjoy a new large mural painted along the back wall of the pool, located below colorful horizontal slats. Combined with Mushroom Pool’s picturesque view of the Monongahela River and wooded hillside, a summer’s day has never been so relaxing;
– Sandbox: One thing is certain: there will be no shortage of sandcastles this summer. A brand new 2,000 square foot playground dedicated to building incredible sand sculptures will be available just off the boardwalk. Plus, an oversized Adirondack chair provides the perfect social moment with friends and family;
– Cocomo Joe’s and Sandbar: These two walk-in bars inspire an energetic beach vibe with vibrant new colors and textures added to the bar seating and backgrounds; and
– Park Landscaping: New foliage, flowers and ornamental grasses can be found in and around the park to create an impressive transformation.
Additionally, all Sandcastle slides will be completely repainted using a relaxing color scheme reminiscent of summer on the East Coast. Complementary park signage brings bright pops of color scattered throughout the park, while new Adirondack seating is sure to make the relaxing Sandcastle experience like no other.
A better, brighter and cooler sandcastle is just the beginning. A range of special events support the visual transformation, providing reasons to visit beyond Sandcastle’s new look and signature slides, including:
– June 4-26: Kick-off of daily operations with extracurriculars, in the swimming pool. Summer vacation has officially begun and Sandcastle is the perfect place to stay with fun daily activities like scavenger hunts, balloon artists, ice cream eating contests and characters from popular TV shows;
– July 1-31: Last year’s Jammin’ July returns for another season, again featuring a lineup of local entertainment headlining Pittsburgh’s most unique concert venue. July also brings a special celebration over the Independence Day holiday long weekend, including a vintage car show and visits to Uncle Sam and the Statue of Liberty;
– August 5-September 17: End the summer in style with a new festival-worthy experience, Sandcastle’s Food And Cocktail Frenzy. Find local breweries, food trucks, DJs and more for a star-studded party on Friday and Saturday nights; and
– August 26-Sept. 16: Paying homage to the old Sandbar of the 1990s, the nightlife returns to Sandcastle for Friday Night Swim Under the Lights, an all-new event where patrons can swim under the stars and enjoy a late-night drink.
The fun doesn’t stop at special events. Visitors will want to visit this summer to experience the park’s new high-altitude freefall slide, Bombs Away. Riders will enter an enclosed launch pod while enjoying serene views from the park’s highest point. As the countdown hits zero, the ground suddenly disappears, propelling riders at a blistering 26 feet per second through 300 feet of soaking, splashing fun.
Located on the same tower as the infamous Lighting Express, Bombs Away promises to deliver an equally thrilling experience.
The best way to dive into all the excitement of Sandcastle is with a season pass offering multiple tours. For a limited time, the best value Gold Season Pass, which offers unlimited entry, free parking and a souvenir mug with unlimited free refills, is available at the same price as the Silver Pass. For more information on Sandcastle upgrades, 2022 events or season passes, visit SandcastleWaterpark.com